The storage of records is a key element in the records management program of all public offices. The purpose of the standard is establish minimum requirements for the storage of physical State records and to guide decisions for storing records. The standard covers records in the control of the public office which have a physical format, including:
- paper files and documents
- volumes and registers
- maps, plans, charts and drawings
- photographic media including photographic prints and negatives, film, microforms, and x-rays
- magnetic media such as digital tape, video and audio cassettes
- optical media such as CDs and DVDs, and
- digital records stored on tapes, disks, or portable hard drives.
USB memory sticks should not be used for the short or long term storage of records.
The standard does not cover:
- active records, as these are likely to be created on a digital format and stored in network servers or data centres, or in the cloud
- storage of digital records in network servers, in data centres, or in the cloud, or the
- storage of State archives.