Individuals may make a complaint about serious instances of poor recordkeeping or non-compliant records management within a NSW Government organisation.

State Records NSW can only look at matters that specifically relate to the requirements of the State Records Act 1998 and the records management standards issued under the Act. We only accept complaints which will enable us to support improved recordkeeping practices within NSW Government organisations.

Complaint handling is not a principal function of the State Records Authority NSW and as such, State Records NSW has discretion in deciding which complaints we will accept and what action, if any, we will take.

If your complaint concerns

  • maladministration or corrupt conduct, you should contact the Independent Commission Against Corruption (see and the NSW Ombudsman's Office (see
  • access to records and information under the Government Information Public Access Act, you should contact the information and Privacy Commission (see
  • privacy of records and information under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act or the Health Records and Information Privacy Act, you should contact the Information and Privacy Commission (see

How to make a complaint to State Records NSW?

Complaints should be made in writing and include relevant information and documentation which will allow us to make an assessment and decide on what action should be taken.

Complaints should be addressed to the Manager State Records NSW and sent to either email: or PO Box 516, Kingswood NSW 2747.

We will acknowledge the receipt of your complaint within 2 business days.

After receiving your complaint, we will assess the information you have provided to decide what action, if any, we should take.

We will contact you within 10 business days of receipt of the complaint to advise what action we will be taking. If we decide not to take any action on your matter, we will provide you with reasons for our decision.